Re: [O] [BUG] Inconsistency in src block hiding

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [BUG] Inconsistency in src block hiding
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 20:18:54 +0100

Hello,

Martyn Jago <address@hidden> writes:

> These changes /have/ caused a software regression, and should be
> reverted immediately, since:
>
> - they change current expected and implemented behavior to the cost of
>   users expectations and current use, with no prior discussion and
>   agreement on behavior changes

Surprisingly, I do remember discussing about this change not so long
ago. Thus, I think the "no prior discussion" is fallacious.

To sum it up, in that discussion, I had suggested that allowing to fold
keywords wasn't a good idea since:

  1. Every element could get a #+name keyword, so everything would be
     eventually foldable (and think about the mess to unfold piece-wise,
     or everything).

  2. Drawers would have consequently no more purpose (properties drawer
     excepted).

> It has been proven that to achieve the required consistency set out by
> this thread /without/ breaking current expectations is less than
> straight-forward, and the changes should therefore be moved to
> EXPERIMENTAL - at least until the changes are proven not to break
> current expectations.
>
> Much of org-mode is currently inconsistent - and while it is highly
> desirable to improve on that situation, it should not become the major
> decision to change code at the cost of regression - org-mode is a very
> practical system used successfully by lots of (very appreciative)
> people, and while all users appreciate bug fixes / enhancements in the
> fast-moving repository that is org-mode (thanks Carsten), clear
> regression such as this should be avoided in master at all costs.

As a side note, master isn't maint, which is the place for stability and
also bug fixing.  On the other hand, if a change doesn't hit master
branch, it won't get enough testing.

Now, there is no regression here: it has never been specified that
"#+results" keywords must allow to fold code. Folding is about
headlines, blocks, drawers and, optionally, items. Period.

Relying on "#+keyword" folding is a mistake. It would be better to
improve and correct drawers export (one of the things I address in the
new exporter). I talked in this thread about drawers
rehabilitation. Reverting this change will postpone this goal or, worse,
bury it.

Nicolas Goaziou