Re: [O] How to define a start date for a task?

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: Re: [O] How to define a start date for a task?
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 16:57:17 -0500

Karl Maihofer <address@hidden> writes:

> Karl Voit <devnull <at> Karl-Voit.at> writes:
>> Three things I am using can help you:
>>
>> 1) Use warning periods together with DEADLINE or SCHEDULED: «You can
>> specify a different lead time for warnings for a specific deadlines
>> using the following syntax. Here is an example with a warning period
>> of 5 days DEADLINE: <2004-02-29 Sun -5d>.»
>>
>> 2) Use http://orgmode.org/org.html#TODO-dependencies
>>
>> 3) http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-depend.html

Hi Karl M,

I assume you have a few typos in the following description:

> I'm not sure if this helps. What I'd like to archive is that an unavailable
                                               ^^^^^^^
                                               achieve
> task is not shown when I do an  agenda search for all tasks for example.
> I do not want the task to show up on my daily agenda when it
       not want the task to show up [only] on my daily agenda
> becomes available. When the start date arrived the agenda search for all
> tasks should show the task.
>
> Is this possible?
>
> Thanks for your help!

;; Keep tasks with scheduled dates in the future off the global todo lists
(setq org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled 'future)

; For tag searches ignore tasks with scheduled tasks too
(setq org-agenda-tags-todo-honor-ignore-options t)

Schedule your task into the future.  It should no longer show up in
global todo or tags searches until that date arrives - at which point it
will be in all lists.

There are similar settings for deadline and plain timestamps.

,----
| org-agenda-tags-todo-honor-ignore-options is a variable defined in
`org-agenda.el'.
| Its value is t
|
| Documentation:
| Non-nil means honor todo-list ...ignore options also in tags-todo search.
| The variables
|    `org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date',
|    `org-agenda-todo-ignore-timestamp',
|    `org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled',
|    `org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines'
| make the global TODO list skip entries that have time stamps of certain
| kinds.  If this option is set, the same options will also apply for the
| tags-todo search, which is the general tags/property matcher
| restricted to unfinished TODO entries only.
|
| You can customize this variable.
`----

Regards,
Bernt