Re: [O] Bug: Recurring TODO spuriously blocked [7.7]

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Recurring TODO spuriously blocked [7.7]
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 19:44:16 -0500

address@hidden (François Pinard) writes:

> Bernt Hansen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> address@hidden (François Pinard) writes:
>
>>> todo-dependencies should likely never be enforced for repeated
>>> entries, even if enforced otherwise, as enforcing for repetitions
>>> with the current Org mechanics has no meaning, at least as I
>>> undestand Org so far.
>
>> You can set a NOBLOCKING property to t to skip the dependency check for
>> repeated tasks.
>
>> * TODO Some Repeating Task
>>   SCHEDULED: <2011-12-16 Fri 15:30 ++1w>
>>   :PROPERTY:
>>   :NOBLOCKING: t
>>   :END:
>
> Thanks for the hint, Bernt.  I'll use it for now.
>
> I still think this is a work around a real problem, which would ideally
> be corrected.  Regardless of blocking being configured or not for
> non-repeating tasks, repeated tasks should never be blocked, shouldn't
> they?
>
> François

Hi François,

I think the answer to that question is "it depends".  I think there is a
way to make check boxes block tasks too (but I've never used it) and in
conjunction with resetting all of the checkboxes to unchecked you
probably don't want to do that accidentally half way through your list
of done items.

I think this preference is very much workflow driven and shouldn't be
globally assigned for everyone.  I'm fine with an option that selects
the behaviour globally so you can customize it the way you like.

It would be nice if subtasks (that are DONE) get automatically moved
back to TODO when the parent repeating task is marked DONE (and goes
back to TODO).  It's just not an itch anyone has scratched yet.  If
repeating tasks behaved this way (in the future) I think keeping the
blocking functionality for repeating tasks makes sense.

Regards,
Bernt