Re: [O] enhancements for org-agenda-to-appt

From: Peter Münster
Subject: Re: [O] enhancements for org-agenda-to-appt
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 23:47:26 +0100

On Tue, Nov 08 2011, Daniel Clemente wrote:

>>  1.) Warning period should be taken from timestamp
>>      That means, that the warntime must be passed to appt-add.
>>
>>  2.) Warning period in hours and minutes
>>      "-3h" for 3 hours or "-10M" for 10 minutes should be possible.
>
>   Do you really need to extend the org-mode timestamp format?

No, but the concept already exists, so why not using it?
Adding something for minutes and hours should be easy, I hope.

>   There may be other ways to do that without extending the org-mode timestamp
> format.

Yes, properties come to my mind.

>   Like deciding acording to priority, for instance.: [#A] are to be notified 1
> hour before, [#B] 30 minutes before and [#C] 10 minutes

Quite limited. Others would need then #D, #E, ... #Z too ;)

>>  4.) Easy modification of timestamps
>>      Often I get notified, that a task has to be done now, but the most
>>      obvious and easiest solution for me is: just do it tomorrow!
>>      Thus, when point is on a deadline line, M-right should advance the
>>      time by 1d, C-right by 1h, or similar.
>>      Decrementing with M-left and C-left should be possible too, but will
>>      surely be used less often... ;)
>
>   I think you can already do that with „bulk scheduling“ from the agenda.
> Key: m m m B s

Yes, but it's not as easy as "M-right".

>   How often would you need to synchronize org and appt in order to be so
> precise?

Today, I do it once per 5 minutes, but once per minute would be ok too.

> Should it be automatic?

Yes, of course.

>>  7.) Switch from "todo" to "done" by clicking on the notification window
>>      When using `notifications-notify' this should be possible with the
>>      `:on-action' parameter.
>>
>   I would prefer the window to open an emacsclient window pointing to the task
> in order to close it myself and write a conclusion, all inside Emacs.

Why emacsclient?

>>  8.) Configurable notification types
>>      For example:
>>      - email
>>      - notifications-notify
>>      - emacs-window (like the default in appt.el)
>>      - custom function
>>
>   Suggestion: a variable which maps "some_tags_combination" → action
>   Then you „configure“ your tasks with tags, and then decide on how to notify
> each type of task.

Why not, but personally I would prefer a property for this.

>>  9.) Configurable notification period
>>      How often the notification function must be called (once per day,
>>      once per minute, etc...)
>>
>    Or even: each time that a task is scheduled or a timestamp is changed in
> org. Maybe this slows things down, but it would almoust guarantee real-time
> synchronization between org and appt

It's not about synchronization, it's about how often I want to be
notified. Imagine the notification is a bell, then I want to specify,
how often the bell will ring.

>> 10.) Configurable notification duration
>>      This applies only for emacs-window and notifications-notify: how
>>      long must the notification be visible.
>>
>    And ask for acknowledgment!
>    It's also interesting to foresee what will happen when an unacknowledged
> notification waits for too long and another one comes up.

IMO, it would be sufficient, to switch from TODO to DONE or to STARTED.
No need for an extra acknowledgment.

>    Best of luck,

Thanks!

--