Re: [O] Journal versus clock tables: Opposing requirements?

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: Re: [O] Journal versus clock tables: Opposing requirements?
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 06:27:49 -0500

Tommy Kelly <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm trying to get org-mode to provide me with two things, but haven't
> found a way to do it.
>
> 1. First, I want to be able to use it like a daily engineering or
> science journal, logging notes as they occur, in pretty much linear
> fashion chronologically. Or, more to the point, I want to be able to
> report and look at items as they occurred, in pretty much linear
> fashion chronologically. Essentially I want to be able to report on
> activity by time of occurrence, not topic.
>
> 2. But second, I want to see clock tables covering a period of time,
> which groups related items together regardless of when (within the
> given period) they happened. Essentially I want to be able to report
> on actrivity by topic, not time of occurrence.
>
> I'm using some of Bernt Hansen's excellent setup, but it still isn't
> getting me quite where I want to be.
>
> I'll note also that the agenda's log mode doesn't really give me point
> 1. It simply lists the *headlines* which have a clock entry or
> timestamp at a given time. I want to see my entire journal -- a la a
> blog. (*Ideally* I'd like to be able to control the depth to which
> that entire journal output went to, but seeing the whole shebang would
> be a good start.)
>
> Anyone have any ideas how to do this.

Hi Tommy,

For item 1) can you use the display of inactive timestamps to get part
of the information you want in the agenda and then visit the items with
either follow mode (F) or manually visit each item with SPC to get more
detail?

If you create an inactive timestamp for every new note you log you can
display that timestamp with [ or ] in the agenda.  This is what I do.

For item 2) I would use agenda clock reports R while displaying the
agenda time frame you are interested in.  You can limit the agenda to
certain tags and use C-u R to limit the clock report to only those tags.

HTH,
Bernt