[O] Dynamically generating todo entries

From: Daniel Schoepe
Subject: [O] Dynamically generating todo entries
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 22:27:08 +0100

Hello,

I'm trying to dynamically generate a list of TODO entries (specifically,
a list of notmuch[1] threads that have a "todo" tag) that I'd like to
see in the TODO agenda, but not in the normal daily agenda (just like a
ordinary TODO entry without a date). A simple try like

(defun foo ()
  "Test function"
  "TODO foo")
--
in something.org:
%%(foo)

ends up generating an entry for every day in the weekly/daily agenda,
but this entry is not recognized as a TODO entry. Is %%(foo) (I don't
know the actual name of this feature) the wrong mechanism for my goal?
If so, is there an alternative for accomplishing what I had in mind?

By the way: Is there a resource describing what special variables are
available to such functions (I only know about date) and how their
output should look like? I couldn't find anything in the org manual.

[1] http://notmuchmail.org

Cheers,
Daniel