Re: [O] Suddenly, my timestamps get localized!

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] Suddenly, my timestamps get localized!
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 11:41:52 +0200

Hi Tassilo,

Tassilo Horn wrote:
> when I insert a new timestame, I now get
>
>   <2011-10-25 Di>
>
> while it used to be <2011-10-25 Tue> until very recently.  (Di is
> Dienstag which is German for Tuesday).  I've briefly grepped the org
> source code, but I cannot see any localization there.
>
> What's going on?  I even have no glue how org/emacs (correctly) guesses
> that I'm German.  My locale is en_US.UTF-8...

Found in my .emacs:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
      ;; system locale to use for formatting time values (e.g., timestamps in
      ;; Org mode files)
      (setq system-time-locale "C")
      ;; "en_US.utf8" did not work for the weekday in the agenda!
#+end_src

Now, the question is: why did it change on your machine? New Emacs, new Cygwin
(if on Windows)? See discussion
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-09/msg00006.html on Cygwin (though I don't
know what to understand from it...).

Best regards,