Re: [O] notify, when something to do

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [O] notify, when something to do
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 18:20:07 +0200

address@hidden (Peter Münster) writes:

Hi Peter,

> I would like to be notified[1], when a todo item enters the warning
> period, scheduled time, or deadline.

I export my org entries as appt alarms, so that I get system
notifications 15 minutes before meetings (every 1 minute until I
discard them).  Here's the code:

(defvar th-notify-title-to-id-map (make-hash-table :test 'string=)
  "Maps TITLE values of notifications to the last notification ID.
If ID is -1, then any further notifications with that body will
be skipped.")

(defun th-notify (&rest args)
  "Create a notification popup.
For ARGS, see `notifications-notify'.
There's some new default behavior over the function above:

  - Notifications with same :body replace each other.  :body,
    because my notifications are usually something like

      :title \"Meeting with Hugo\"
      :body \"In 15 Minutes\"

    where each minute a similar notification with decreasing
    minutes in the :body is triggered.

  - If a notification was dismissed, then don't show any
    notifications with that :title anymore (the next 15 minutes).

  - Use unlimited timeout."
  (require 'notifications)
  (let* ((title (plist-get args :body))
         (body (plist-get args :body))
         (replaces-id (or (plist-get args :replaces-id)
                          (gethash title th-notify-title-to-id-map)))
         (on-close (or (plist-get args :on-close)
                       `(lambda (id reason)
                          (when (eq reason 'dismissed)
                            (puthash ,title -1 th-notify-title-to-id-map)
                            ;; But clear that "dont-show-mark" after 15 minutes
                            (run-with-timer (* 15 60) nil
                                            (lambda ()
                                              (remhash ,title
th-notify-title-to-id-map)))))))
         ;; 0 means, it should not expire at all
         (timeout (or (plist-get args :timeout) 0)))
    (unless (eql replaces-id -1)
      (puthash title (apply 'notifications-notify
                            (th-plist-put-many args
                                               :timeout timeout
                                               :replaces-id replaces-id
                                               :on-close on-close))
               th-notify-title-to-id-map))))

(defun th-appt-alarm (mins time text)
  "Show a notification popup (or update the current one) for the
appt with TEXT in MINS minutes (a string)."
  (let ((body (substring-no-properties text)))
    (th-notify
     :title text
     :body (concat "Appointment "
                   (if (string= mins "0")
                       "NOW:"
                     (concat "in " mins " minutes:"))))))

(setq appt-display-format 'window
      appt-disp-window-function 'th-appt-alarm
      appt-display-interval 1
      appt-display-duration 60)

(defun th-org-agenda-to-appt ()
  (require 'org-agenda)
  (org-agenda-to-appt t)
  (appt-activate 1))

(th-org-agenda-to-appt)
(add-hook 'org-finalize-agenda-hook 'th-org-agenda-to-appt)

Bye,
Tassilo