Re: [O] why was makefile changed to produce this?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] why was makefile changed to produce this?
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 08:49:17 -0400

Jude DaShiell <address@hidden> wrote:

> My bad, I was missing texinfo package and thought that had already been
> installed.  Once that got installed, everything works as well as it did
> earlier this year.  If I knew what path that error took, I'd write what
> might be a better error message for it asking for the texinfo package to
> be installed.

Here is a useful command that you can use on Debian and Ubuntu systems
in situations like this:

$ dpkg -S makeinfo
texinfo: /usr/bin/makeinfo
octave3.2-common: /usr/share/octave/3.2.4/m/help/__makeinfo__.m
emacs23-common: /usr/share/emacs/23.1/lisp/textmodes/makeinfo.elc
texinfo: /usr/share/man/man1/makeinfo.1.gz

It tells you the packages containing files that match the argument
to the command.

Also, on modern Ubuntu, it is often the case that when you try to
execute a command by hand and it is not found, the system will suggest
the installation of a package:

$ foo
No command 'foo' found, did you mean:
 Command 'fio' from package 'fio' (universe)
 Command 'goo' from package 'goo' (universe)
 Command 'fop' from package 'fop' (universe)
 Command 'fox' from package 'objcryst-fox' (universe)
 Command 'xoo' from package 'xoo' (universe)
 Command 'zoo' from package 'zoo' (universe)
foo: command not found

$ goo
The program 'goo' is currently not installed.  To run 'goo' please ask your
administrator to install the package 'goo'

HTH,
Nick

PS I have no idea what the package/command ``goo'' does.