Re: [O] [babel] Producing figures from octave

From: Dan Davison
Subject: Re: [O] [babel] Producing figures from octave
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 20:47:04 -0700

Ethan Ligon <address@hidden> writes:

> Dan Davison has a brief worg tutorial on using babel with octave at
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-octave-matlab.html

Hi Ethan,

> Amongst other things, he offers the following example block for
> producing a figure:

(Actually, the example is not by me.)

> #+begin_src octave :output file :file chart.png
> figure( 1, "visible", "off" );
> sombrero;
> print -dpng chart.png
> #+end_src

:output file is wrong (there's no header arg named :output).
:file chart.png says to write the results to that file. The "results"
are whatvever the variable `ans` holds at the end of the block, and I
think that must be the file path you're seeing.

One way to write that example is:

#+begin_src octave :results file
figure( 1, "visible", "off" );
sombrero;
print -dpng chart.png;
ans = "chart.png";
#+end_src

:results file says to interpret the result as a file path.

I've updated the worg page.

Dan