Re: [O] Bug: Babel: haskell code evaluation inconsisten cy [7.7 (release

From: András Major
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Babel: haskell code evaluation inconsisten cy [7.7 (release_7.7.160.g3e33)]
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 08:56:07 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Eric,

> I personally don't have time to make these changes right now, but I'd be
> happy to provide guidance and answer questions to anyone who wanted to
> try to submit a patch.  Also, there are a number of files which can
> serve as examples of how to compile and execute code with Babel e.g.,
> ob-java.el and ob-C.el.

That's what I suspected judging from the behaviour I've seen.  Is
anyone else interested in such work?  I don't have much time either,
in particular I'm not sufficiently familiar with emacs and Lisp to do
something useful quickly.

> I would prefer to keep haskell as the source block type if only so that
> the blocks are fontified with haskell-mode.  However something like an
> :engine or :compiler keyword could be used to specify ghc or hugs.

Good idea, but specifying ghc is ambiguous: it'll have to be either
ghci, runghc/runhaskell, oder hugs, or maybe some other
interpreter/compiler someone else would like to use (nhc98, etc.,
there a quite a few).  At least the three options I listed all have
incompatibilities in even the simplest use cases, owing to the
peculiarities of Haskell as a pure, declarative language.

Also, using runghc would require the code block to be tangled first
into a temporary file.  Is that easily done in babel?

  András