[O] ebib configuration for org-bibtex

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: [O] ebib configuration for org-bibtex
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2011 07:40:38 -1000

Aloha all,

I'm trying, partially successfully, to configure org-bibtex so it mimics
some useful features of ebib.  In particular, I'm wanting to add several
optional fields that ebib uses.

I have this in .emacs:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :tangle yes
  (dolist (type org-bibtex-types)
    (push :url (cdr (assoc :optional (cdr type))))
    (push :annote (cdr (assoc :optional (cdr type))))
    (push :abstract (cdr (assoc :optional (cdr type))))
    (push :keywords (cdr (assoc :optional (cdr type))))
    (push :file (cdr (assoc :optional (cdr type))))
)

  (push (cons :url "A URL for the reference") org-bibtex-fields)
  (push (cons :annote "Annotation is typically not exported") org-bibtex-fields)
  (push (cons :abstract "Abstract for annotated bibliography")
org-bibtex-fields)
  (push (cons :keywords "Keywords for sorting with ebib") org-bibtex-fields)
  (push (cons :file "A local file path used by ebib to open the
  reference in an appropriate application") org-bibtex-fields)
#+end_src

Most of it works fine, but the optional :file field doesn't respect its
argument.  So, the following entry in the Org-mode file:

** Active Documents with Org-mode
   :PROPERTIES:
   :TITLE:    Active Documents with Org-mode
   :TYPE:     article
   :AUTHOR:   Eric Schulte and Dan Davison
   :JOURNAL:  Computing in Science and Engineering
   :YEAR:     2011
   :VOLUME:   13
   :NUMBER:   3
   :PAGES:    2--9
   :MONTH:    May/June
   :FILE:     Schulte-Davison-Babel.pdf
   :CUSTOM_ID: schulte11:_activ_docum_org
   :END:

is exported with org-bibtex like this:

@article{schulte11:_activ_docum_org,
  author =       {Eric Schulte and Dan Davison},
  title =        {Active Documents with Org-mode},
  journal =      {Computing in Science and Engineering},
  year =         2011,
  file =         {/Users/dk/Public/projects/916-rr/rr.org},
  url =
  {http://www.cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/data/CISE-13-3-SciProg.pdf},
  volume =       13,
  number =       3,
  pages =        {2--9},
  month =        {May/June}
}

Pressing f in ebib now just takes me back to the Org-mode file, rather
than launching a pdf reader on my local copy of the article.

Any ideas how I can achieve my goal?

All the best,
Tom
--