Re: [O] Suppress visibility cycling for a specific tree

From: Rainer Stengele
Subject: Re: [O] Suppress visibility cycling for a specific tree
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 16:49:36 +0200

Am 25.07.2011 16:17, schrieb Carsten Dominik:

> On Jul 25, 2011, at 3:24 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>

>> On Jul 25, 2011, at 2:13 PM, suvayu ali wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is it possible to suppress visibility cycling for a particular tree?
>>> What I am looking for is the behaviour of an ARCHIVEd tree. I have some
>>> general guidelines and local config in this tree that I don't want to
>>> see usually but since it is technically not archived information I am
>>> looking for an alternate means to a similar goal.
>>>
>>> Could I specify a special tag of my own and define the behaviour I want
>>> with elisp? Where do I start looking for this?
>>
>> Archived trees are kept closed by the function
>> `org-cycle-hide-archived-subtrees', which is called by
>> `org-cycle-hook'.  You could define a tag of your choice
>> and then put a function into org-cycle-hook that uses a let form
>> to bind `org-archive-tag' to the chosen tag and then calls
>> `org-cycle-hide-archived-subtrees' to do the work.
>>
>> Hope this gets you on the path.
>
> Actually, the true zen[1] way to do this is to use ACHIVE anyway
> and change your brain to accept that ARCHIVE does not mean the
> thing is archived at all.  Or do

brain changes are costly and confusing ;)

> (setq org-archive-tag "KEEPCLOSED")
>
> :-)
>
> The side effect of this is that stuff in these trees ill never
> contribute t the agenda - but if it is setup stuff, you
> probably do not care....

No, it is not setup stuff, just a blurb of stuff I do not want to see every
time cycling through the subtree ..

> These solutions will work if the subtree does not contain stuff
> relevant for agendas.....

It can contain agenda stuff, so that solution maybe zen'ish but not working for
me.
If you saw my code and find something wrong please help along!
Thanks!

- rainer