Re: [O] LaTeX export of lists

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] LaTeX export of lists
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 09:18:48 -1000

> Hello,
>
> address@hidden (Thomas S. Dye) writes:
>
>> LaTeX export of lists appears to be inserting an extraneous blank line.
>>
>> This snippet from the Org-mode document:
>>
>> first-order cultural history sequence for Hawai`i can be expressed
>> with model (\ref{eq:first-order}), which states that
>>    1. the pre-colonization period began at a time too old for the
>>       \rc\space method to date;
>>
>> is exported to LaTeX as:
>>
>> first-order cultural history sequence for Hawai`i can be expressed
>> with model \ref{eq:first-order}, which states that
>>
>> \begin{enumerate}
>> \item the pre-colonization period began at a time too old for the
>>       \rc\  method to date;
>>
>> The blank line before \begin{enumerate} is interpreted by LaTeX as a
>> paragraph break, which I don't want here because I'm setting the
>> enumerated list within the paragraph and not displayed separately.
>>
>> IIRC, this represents an old behavior that was corrected a while back.
>> I'm not sure when the blank line snuck back in.
>
> I pushed a patch bringing back the old behaviour.
>
> That raises an interesting question: can a list belong to a paragraph in
> Org? According to paragraph-related regexps, it can't, for now. And your
> request is more a "LaTeXism" than an "Orgism" (!).
>
> Anyway, it should be fine now.
>
> Regards,

Aloha Nicolas,

Thanks very much!  The old LaTeXism behavior is back in my example.

I probably don't understand your question fully, but it seems obvious to
me that a list can either belong to a paragraph or it can be separate.
I'm not certain why Org-mode would want to choose one over the other.

I tend to see the question as having to do with how someone working in
Org-mode indicates that a paragraph break is wanted.  I do this with a
blank line, as I do in LaTeX, and this seems to work.

All the best,
Tom

--
T.S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists
735 Bishop St, Suite 315, Honolulu, HI 96813