Re: [O] patch makefile solve a couple debian build problems and a slackw

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] patch makefile solve a couple debian build problems and a slackware build problem
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 14:49:05 +0200

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:
> My worry is this: before Achim's patch, the "other" systems run the
> following command:
>
>       $(INSTALL_INFO) --info-file=$(INFOFILES) --info-dir=$(infodir)

The invocation with --info-files is only understood by GNU install-info,
that was presumably the reason for introducing the extra target
install-info-debian.

> I presume without trouble. After his patch, they run
>
>       $(INSTALL_INFO) --infodir=$(infodir) $(INFOFILES)

This invocation does the same thing (per the man and info manuals) on
GNU install-info, but is also compatible with the older install-info
supplied by Debian, which does not know about some options of GNU info.
So whichever install-info gets chosen (since we cannot know what $PATH
is set to) should work.  If it is GNU install-info, then the warning
message is printed that we actually called a wrapper script that hands
off its arguments to ginstall-info.  If it is the dpkg install-info,
then we get a bunch of verbose output that GNU install-info doesn't
produce, but it also results in a working info page.

> Does the install-info on other systems really grok the --infodir option?
> Isn't it just straight GNU install-info? What am I missing?

On Windows you can either have MSys or Cygwin to get install-info.  Both
really are GNU install-info, so unless there is yet another install-info
I don't see why this would not work.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER: