Re: [O] patch org-mode Makefile - solve a couple debian build problems a

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] patch org-mode Makefile - solve a couple debian build problems and a slackware build problem
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 18:50:06 -0400

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> wrote:

> Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:
> > Most Linux systems I know of have a description of what distro is
> > installed in the /etc/issue file: Ubuntu, Debian, RH, Fedora, SuSE
> [...]
>
> True, but it's not reliable since it is quite common to customize the
> login message.  And the next thing of course is that you don't have that
> file at all on Windows, where the Makefile should also work.
>
> I the dark ages when different makes ruled, it was common to have
> Makefile.vms Makefile.SysV or something like that.  Maybe something
> along those lines plus some notes in README or an additonal INSTALL
> would be more appropriate?

I'm actually hoping that nothing of the sort will be needed, but given
that I don't have either debian squeeze or slackware available, I can't
really see what goes wrong.

As for /etc/issue, you are probably right: I never touch it but that
means nothing. OTOH, it does illustrate how to make Makefiles do stupid
pet tricks.

Nick