Re: [O] [dev] footnotes improvements

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [dev] footnotes improvements
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 16:59:46 +0200

Hello,

Matt Lundin <address@hidden> writes:

> First, a general consideration: my vote would be for highlighting the
> entire footnote label, including the brackets. IMO, leaving the brackets
> in the default face makes it more difficult to scan the buffer.
> (Similarly, I think it might be nice to fontify the entire contents of
> inline footnotes.)

I tend to disagree here:

- if we fontify the whole contents, it may override any special
  fontification inside the inlined footnote (i.e. links, emphasis).
  Moreover, it would look ugly with multi-lines footnotes (white spaces
  at the beginning of the line are also fontified).

- if we fontify the label and the brackets, it might be difficult to
  distinguish when two or more footnotes are bound together. In the case
  of a single inline footnote, the closing bracket would look silly when
  fontified alone in the middle of the text.

- fontifying only labels is enough to spot quickly a footnotes, and is
  useful when you want to reuse an already defined label.

That being said, I agree that the actual fontification process needs to
be tweaked a bit more (i.e. is buggy and not in is final state). Let me
improve this during the next week, then, if needed, we will discuss
again about it.

> Square brackets containing digits inside of footnotes cause some issues.
> The primary use for such brackets would be to include LaTeX cite macros
> inside of footnotes. I imagine this might be tricky to fix, as [25]
> looks exactly like a footnote label.

[25] isn't recognized as a footnote label, as LaTeX macros have
precedence over footnotes (`org-footnote-at-reference-p' dismisses any
footnote matching a part of a LaTeX macro). The problem is that, at the
moment, footnote contents are not protected from further processing.
Alas, unprotected macros are not seen as macros by LaTeX exporter. One
solution would be to protect the contents, but I have first to look at
the HTML exporter, as the reason might be different there.

There is also a problem to fix with lists within footnotes, as my
workaround for that problem doesn't work anymore with the changes
I made.

Again, I will have a look at all of this during the week to come. Stay
tuned !

Nicolas Goaziou