Re: [O] example or source blocks with captions

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: [O] example or source blocks with captions
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 10:30:08 +0530

(Forwarding it - Looks like the original mail didn't make it's way to
the list)

> Hi Neilen,
>
> Neilen Marais wrote:
>> Is it possible to caption a #+begin_src or #+begin_example block? Doing
>>
>> #+CAPTION: dipole_analytical_balanis.mac
>> #+begin_example
>> #+end_example
>>
>> doesn't seem to do the trick. I would find this useful to include
>> suggested filenames when quoting source on a web page.
>
> Would such block be better for you?
>
> #+srcname: dipole_analytical_balanis.mac
> #+begin_src mac
> #+end_src
>
> The source name should be exported in HTML. If not, this is a feature.[1]

A cursory look suggests that

org-export-format-source-code-or-example takes caption as an arg. This
is used only if htmlize or org-export-latex-listings is configured by
the user - Both of these are not part of factory settings and wouldn't
work out of the box. (Seems like the situation could be improved)

ASCII export always exports a caption without fail.

So if I export

* Source Block
** Emacs Lisp Block

#+CAPTION: HelloWorldCaption
#+srcname: HelloWorldSrcName
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (defun helloworld ()
    ""
    (message "hello world"))
#+end_src

I get something like

1 Source Block
---------------

1.1 Emacs Lisp Block
=====================

  (defun helloworld ()
    ""
    (message "hello world"))

meaning that captions are not possibly passed into
org-export-format-source-code-or-example.

A cursory look at org-export-attach-captions-and-attributes where
('org-caption text property is added) suggests that captions are not
getting associated with the src blocks.

In summary, there seems to be a clear intent to attach a caption to
example or source blocks but somehow things are turning out otherwise.

Jambunathan K.