Re: [O] latex export settings in init files

From: Aankhen
Subject: Re: [O] latex export settings in init files
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 01:29:46 +0530

Hi Chris,

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 17:25, Chris Beard <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
> I've tried to modify some default latex export settings based on info from
> here
> http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg07645.html
>
> I basically add to the org-mode-hook to do:
>
> [snip]
>
> This works if I evaluate it after I've been exporting to latex, but I
> get an error whenever I start up emacs:
>
> setq: Symbol's value as variable is void: org-export-latex-classes
>
> I'm guessing there's some org-mode latex-export thing that I need to
> load first, but I'm not very familiar with how to do this. Any advice?

An alternative to flat out ‘require’-ing everything is
‘eval-after-load’.  For example:

,----
| (eval-after-load 'org-export-latex
|   '(progn
|      (add-to-list org-export-latex-classes '("myarticle" . "..."))
|
|      (setq org-export-latex-date-format "%Y %B %d"
|            org-export-latex-custom-lang-environments '((python "listings")))))
`----

I use this approach & autoloads almost universally in my init file,
following some advice I read.[1] It’s a trade-off between failing
early if you have errors and speeding up Emacs’s initialization.  It
can also be less than straightforward to understand…

Aankhen

[1]: http://a-nickels-worth.blogspot.com/2007/11/effective-emacs.html