Re: [O] Outlook replacement

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Outlook replacement
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 23:31:21 -0400

Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I use fetchmail and postfix. They run in the background dealing with
>> incoming and outgoing mail resp. - as far as emacs is concerned, all
>> mail is local.
>
> I have tried that too but unsuccessfully, my understanding of mail
> servers and email protocols are rather limited. I use several emails
> accounts on markedly different email systems (GMail, Zimbra, some kind
> of M$ mail server). Trying to talk to all these simultaneously seemed
> extremely difficult.

Well, fetchmail can read POP or IMAP from various servers. Don't know anything
about Zimbra, don't *want* to know anything about M$.

> Also I often access email from multiple locations, home workstation,
> university workstation and my laptop. Not sure how to deal with that. I
> once tried OfflineImap but something came up before I could set it up
> properly and I never had the time to get back to it. Maybe when I have
> the time again.

That's tough: you'll need to leave the mail server-side so that you can
access it from all the different machines, but that leaves you vulnerable
to network outages. offlineIMAP might be a good solution for you.

I get my email (three different servers) on a laptop that travels
between home and work. The setup I have is enough for that.

Nick