[O] Re: Outlook replacement

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [O] Re: Outlook replacement
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 22:16:35 +0100

Chris Malone,

Chris Malone wrote:
> Hi Henri-Paul,
>
> While you've brought the topic up I /have/ been recently curious about
> others' email setup and how they incorporate that into Emacs/org-mode?  I
> notice several users send emails from within Emacs using org-mode syntax -
> any tips on setting such a thing up?

For the list and table stuff, here's an example from my .gnus file:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
      ;; operates on messages you send
      (defun my/message-mode-hook ()

        ;; tab completion for alias in `.mailrc'
        (local-set-key (kbd "M-TAB") 'mail-abbrev-complete-alias)

        ;; enable automatic word-wrap when composing messages
        (setq fill-column 78)
        (turn-on-auto-fill)

        (when (try-require 'org-footnote)
          ;; default style used for footnoting is local to the Message being
          ;; written
          (set (make-local-variable 'org-footnote-auto-label) 'plain))

        (when (locate-library "org.el")

          ;; turn on the `org-mode' table editor
          (turn-on-orgtbl)

          ;; turn on orgstruct-mode
          (turn-on-orgstruct)

          ;; turn on the enhanced version of orgstruct-mode
          (turn-on-orgstruct++)))

      (add-hook 'message-mode-hook 'my/message-mode-hook)
#+end_src

For "Org-mode syntax" (putting codes as the above):

- simply copy/paste,
- select region with C-x C-x,
- demarcate block with C-c C-v C-d and insert the correct language (here:
  emacs-lisp).

> Also, how do you handle outside email accounts, for example, from gmail?

What do you mean?  Accessing them?  That can be done from Emacs, although I
did not set this up (yet).

Does the above meet your question?

Best regards,
  Seb