Re: [O] Table rows and ranges as LHS of formulas

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] Table rows and ranges as LHS of formulas
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 23:57:32 +0100

On 2.3.2011, at 19:54, Nick Dokos wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> On 2.3.2011, at 18:21, Bastien wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Carsten,

>>> Please go ahead!  This looks like a nice addition, thanks for that.
>>
>> I just pushed it.  The patch I pushed contains another small thing:
>> you can use @L to mean the last row.  So
>>
>>    @L=vsum(@I..II)
>>
>> is now a great way to sum columns in the last row.
>> To skip the First column (in case it contains unsummable
>> labels or so, use
>>
>>   @address@hidden@8=vsum(@I..II)
>>

> Both of these and Christian's multiplication table are great
> examples. Thanks!
>
> One nit: symmetry dictates that $L should be the last column, but it
> isn't.  Trying @address@hidden in Christian's example works fine, but
> @address@hidden changes the first column to all zeroes (not sure why).

Yes, of cause, this symmetry would be nice, I have thought about it.
However, $L is ambiguous syntax, there can be a name that is $L, so
this might even break existing tables.  I could do is so that if
there is no name $L defined, then use it.  But this is also
confusing, and of cause not stable if someone does define new names.

Maybe we should use something else to achieve symmetry, like @>  and $>.

Comments?

- Carsten