Re: [Orgmode] [OT] Taskwarrior, nice GTD-oriented CLI thing

From: Mark Elston
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [OT] Taskwarrior, nice GTD-oriented CLI thing
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 13:53:51 -0800

On 2/4/2011 11:16 AM, Eric Schulte wrote:
Mark Elston<address@hidden>  writes:

On 2/3/2011 8:03 PM, Torsten Wagner wrote:
Hi Marcelo,

Emacs can run as a dameon and as that you could access it via
emacsclient. What is needed is a nice interface to allow to send simple
requests to insert and fetch data from org-mode. Some of the org-mode
function might do this already, however, I guess a decent layer which
hides the complex org-mode routines and provides simple to use in- and
output functions might be more effective.

There is also PyOrgMode which can probably be developed as an
intermediary between the two.  I, for one, find Python *much* more
approachable than elisp... :)

The only problem here is that you will invariably begin re-implementing
the entirety of Org-mode in python.  I think that an emacsclient backend
exposing an Org-mode api is the best bet, then a Python wrapper around
such a backend could be appropriate for writing the front-end interface.

I suppose that depends on what the CLI would have to do.  This
discussion was about how to transfer data between the two frameworks.
You wouldn't have to implement all of org-mode in python to read through
an org-mode file, though I admit some sections would be more difficult
than others (org-babel stuff, for example).

I have found that the kind of stuff I would like to transfer from org to
something else (and vice versa) is pretty simple most of the time.  The
more complex org-files are not calendar/agenda kinds of things but
documents I use org to manage as I write (class notes/handouts/etc).  My
calendar/agenda stuff is reasonably simple and could pretty easily be
parsed by most languages that have some support for parsing (built-in,
or library/tool support a la yacc/lex, etc.).  Other people might have
more significant requirements, I suppose.

Mark