Re: [Orgmode] [BUG] adding new plain lists item changes previous one it

From: Christian Moe
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [BUG] adding new plain lists item changes previous one it it ends in a number on a single lijne followed by a dot
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 20:09:35 +0100

On 2/3/11 3:09 PM, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
Hello,

Christian Moe writes:

Numbers at the beginning of the line inadvertently starting a list
item is a bug.

You call it a bug, but it is actually the Org definition of a numbered
item. This is in the manual. Though, I think I understand what you
mean: this definition can lead to surprising results. But the user is
warned in the documentation.

I'm sorry, that was silly of me, and I take it back. You and Achim Gratz are both right. If it follows from the specification, and the manual warns about it, it's not a bug. I'm usually the first to point that out to others... don't know what got into me.

It means you can mess up your exported document (it doesn't just
happen at M-RET) by just writing a perfectly normal text, and there
is no easy-to-remember escape. (I really don't like the
invisible-space workaround -- it's hard to remember how to insert
it, and it's a bizarre trick to have to tell newcomers.)

ReStructuredText provides a backslash-escape for this, even though
its more rigid structure reduces the chances of the error happening.
Could we borrow that trick, or would it conflict with something
else?

I don't follow you here. Inserting a non-breaking space (it was only
an example, by the way) is an unacceptable trick to tell to newcomers
but adding a backslash in front of numbers isn't? It looks the same to
me.

Sorry I put it that way, that wasn't helpful. Backslash too was just an example. In this case, an example of a typical escape character that's right there on my keyboard. I'm not saying it looks better than what you get with `C-q 240' or similar, but it's easy to remember.

As long as Org cannot tell between an ordered item and a number at the
end of a sentence, those problems will persist. And I can't see any
non-hackish solution about it.

Absolutely.

We can always change `org-plain-list-ordered-item-terminator' default
value to the safer ?), though.

As you've pointed out, there's a setting for us to tweak if we want this, and changing the default would probably cause greater annoyances for more people. So I'm not urging that.

I'll try to make friends with the invisible non-breaking space.
:)

Yours,
Christian