[Orgmode] window rearrangements when exporting to pdf

From: Stephen Eglen
Subject: [Orgmode] window rearrangements when exporting to pdf
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 14:03:14 +0000

I've found the following odd behaviour in windows being re-arranged
within a frame.  It is not bothering me too much (yet), but I thought
I'd report it in case others see it.

If I start emacs, and maximise it on my desktop machine, it is wide
enough to allow two full windows side-by-side (i.e. left-to-right) when
I do C-x 3.

(window-width) reports 103 in each window.

If I view say *scratch* in my left window, and an org buffer in the
right window, then do "C-c C-e", the org buffer is then shown in the
left window, and the temp buffer (*Org Export/Publishing Help*) appears
in the right window.  So, the org buffer temporarily switches from left
to right.  When I then hit say 'd' to complete the export (to tex->pdf),
the original window configuration (*scratch* in left, org in right)
returns.

Is this desired behaviour?  It seems a little odd that the org buffer
would be pushed temporarily into a different window whilst the help is
displayed.  I would expect the help buffer to appear in the left window.
(If I start with the org buffer in the left window, the temp
buffer appears in the right window, as expected.)

(emacs-version)
"GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.0)
 of 2010-05-24 on maps"

My guess would be that org-fit-window-to-buffer is doing this.

Stephen