[Orgmode] Re: [babel] Sh problem when echo'ing input data with ' inside

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [babel] Sh problem when echo'ing input data with ' inside
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 19:23:20 +0100

Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden>
writes:
> I asked the question on the Cygwin mailing list, and got an answer from Tobias
> Schlottke, telling me to use the 'plain old' syntax (=`...`= instead of
> =$(...)=):

I can confirm.  This is really bad, since now you'd have to escape
backticks in the data coming from emacs.  Do you have a link to the
discussion, provided there is a web-mirror of the mailing list
someplace?  I'm a bit out of my waters here since mostly I'm using tcsh,
but it appears that dash on cygwin (not ash, even though dash is just a
symlink to ash) does the right thing.  It is also vastly smaller than
bash, so you might just use it for babel scripting.

> Can we move to that syntax?

For the reason above this would not be safe without more changes to
babel and backticks are actively discouraged to use in new scripts by
just about any shell introduction/ FAQ for years now.  Eric has
implemented a workaround and the problem deserves to be documented,
though.

Achim.