[Orgmode] Babel and R issue when exporting to PDF via LaTeX in Windows 7

From: Ben Ward
Subject: [Orgmode] Babel and R issue when exporting to PDF via LaTeX in Windows 7
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 19:31:39 +0000

Hi, all, I hope someone can help with this issue,

Unfortunately I'm having a work PC upgrade, and it means Windows 7 and the order not to install any other system on it for compatibility and for the IT experts - I use the term loosely, to only need to know how to use one system.

Im trying to get org-mode set up with emacs so I can icorporate R code in my documents - like Sweave functionality. I have this achieved in Arch Linux. Howeer when I export to PDF in Windows 7 I'm just getting a PDF with Titl, Author, Date, and Contents and then no R stuff.

I have set up emacs by extracting emacs-23.2-bin-i386. Program Files, and I ran addpm.exe. My home is set to C:\Users\"My Name" and in that location, I have a folder .emacs.d, which contains my init.el, because it's awkward to begin a filename with a dot.

I extracted the vaniall ESS zip file to C:\Program Files\emacs-23.2-bin-i386\site-lisp, and I did the same for org 7.4.

I then had the following init.el setup:

> (require 'ess-site)

> (require 'org-install)
> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org\\'" . org-mode))
> (global-set-key "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
> (global-set-key "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
> (global-set-key "\C-cb" 'org-iswitchb)
> (global-font-lock-mode 1)
> (transient-mark-mode 1)
>
> ;; Babel Configuration
> (org-babel-do-load-languages 'org-babel-load-languages '((R . t)(ditaa . t)(dot . t)(emacs-lisp . t)(gnuplot . nil)(haskell . nil)(latex . t)(ocaml . nil)(perl . t)(python . t)(ruby . t)(screen . nil)(sh . t)(sql . nil)(sqlite . nil)))

This in Linux: the extraction and installation of ess, and install of org 7.4 (in Linux I would use "make install", but in Windows when I just extract it to site-lisp, and then go into Emacs with the above init file and do M-x org and show the version number it changes from the old 5.** to 7.4, so it's clearly loading the right stuff), would normally be enough for everything to work. However in Windows I'm getting blank PDF's without any R stuff, although I did do a HTML export and the R code and results did get included into that.

The org file with test R code is really very simple:

#+TITLE: A Test of the org-babel features with the R Stats Language, with a Windows 7 setup.
#+AUTHOR: Ben J. Ward
#+BABEL: :session *R* :results output

Below is code generating a vector calld data, and then a call of it's name that should display the numbers that make it up:

#+begin_src R :exports both
data <- c(1,2,3,4,5)
data
#+end_src

I've tried first with TeXLive and then with MiKTeX and I've had trouble with both. Yet the evaluation through ESS is definately working: I can do C-c C-c on code chunks and get the familar #+results: line in my org file as I do it.

My Linux install uses TeXLive - incase it's relevant.

If anyone can give me some advice or instruction with this I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks,
Ben Ward.

--
For extra information, you can see the intermediate .tex file produced, below - it doesent contain any verbatim of code or output of R: