Re: [Orgmode] specifying priority with template expansion

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] specifying priority with template expansion
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 11:00:48 +0100

On Dec 3, 2010, at 11:42 PM, David A. Thompson wrote:

On 12/03/2010 12:40 PM, Jeff Horn wrote:
Can you give us a better idea of the use case? As I understand,
unprioritzed todos count as "B" by default. Since most of my tasks
have a priority of B, I've never found setting priorities to be
helpful until I sit down to review my work for the day.

I prioritize items that are important (or urgent) with A at the
beginning of the day (no more than a couple, usually). Most items are
"B" and rarely more than half of those get done.

If I want to "sink" an item but keep it scheduled, it gets a priority of "C".

Most of my todos are neither associated with deadlines nor are they scheduled. Schedules and deadlines have seemed a more time-intensive way to go relative to setting priorities (but perhaps this is a 'Green Eggs and Ham' thing?)

These are often things I do not know when recording an item.

I guess the main difference is that I generally am typically able to recognize, when recording a todo, whether it's in the 'urgent/asap' pile (A), the 'try-and-get-it-done-sometime-soon' pile (B), or in a 'sure-would-be-nice-to-get-it-done' pile (C). Given that, it seemed both logical and more efficient to immediately prioritize the item rather than going back later and prioritizing the item.

You might want to consider to make separate templates with two-key access for these different priorities. Then you could uce

C-c c t a   for priority A
C-c c t b   for priority B

etc.

Might be more efficient in your case then reading and responding to a prompt.

But my intuition would also be to just assume B (which is the same as giving NO priority at all), and changing it to A or C with S-up and S- down on the headline while editing the template.

HTH

- Carsten