[Orgmode] Re: Org-mode Code Blocks Manuscript: Request For Comments

From: Detlef Steuer
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Org-mode Code Blocks Manuscript: Request For Comments
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 08:58:37 +0100

Hi!

I very much appreciate your article as a nice introduction to org-babel
and its uses. As I'm going to introduce my colleagues into the nice
world of org-babel giving a talk sometime next term I'll shamelessly
steal from your work. (Of course giving attribution!)

Some remarks:
If you send it to Journal of _Statistical_ Software may be you should
be a little bit more focused on statistics. You article introduces
org-babel as a multi-language frontend to literate programming. What it
is, but there is little statistics in it.

In their article Gentleman and Lang introduced the "statistical
compendium". In my opinion emacs + org-mode + babel +
all-programming-languages-we-know + LaTeX + HTML export build the first
incarnation of a tool to really create such a compendium, org-babel
being central in that chain.
May be you can use some of Tom Dye's data to give an example of a
self-contained statistical workflow. I used his introduction given in
Worg to do my first steps in that direction. (Thx again Tom!)
Doing everything beginning with data-cleaning over data analysis to
template generating and report publishing and presentation in one
text-file.
That feature was, what caught me immediately as a statistician.

If you want to focus on the simulation side (may be more focused on
academics) I would stress the "always-correctness" of graphs in
articles. You all know what I mean...

Just my 2 cents. Of course it is great as it stands  and surely I'm
biased by my own needs.

Detlef
(a statistician)