Re: [Orgmode] Importing text/data on export?

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Importing text/data on export?
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 12:40:42 +0000

Luke Crook <address@hidden> writes:

> I would like to create some technical specifications in a format of
> (a) Cover Page, (b) Title Page, (c) Revision History, (d) TOC,
> (e) List of Tables, (f) List of Figures, and (g) Actual
> specifications/text/etc.
>
> A-C might be part of each org-mode document, or might only be included on
> export.
> However there are fields in these sections that are document specific that
> must
> be updated on export, for example; title, doc number, revision number.
> In addition, the Cover Page has to be of the approved format having space
> for the appropriate signoff signatures for the author and several approvers.
> Is org-mode capable of this, or is this something that has to be done outside
> of org-mode?
>
> For the revision history, I think creating this table on export by
> including the commit text from git would be great. Does anyone have any
>  pointers on how to accomplish this?
>
> -Luke

Luke,

I guess it all depends on what export target you are aiming for.  If you
want latex (+pdf), much of this can be captured with actual latex
commands (\listoffigures, say).

Independent of the export target, the revision history could be
generated using babel with the appropriate log command depending on the
version control system you use, as in

#+begin_src sh :results output :exports results
git log -10 --oneline
#+end_src

HTH,
eric
--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 23.2.1
: using Org-mode version 7.3 (release_7.3.99.g9db0.dirty)