Re: [Orgmode] [Babel] Arguments...

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [Babel] Arguments...
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 15:42:54 -0600

Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Two small questions, with that minimal example:
>
> #+begin_src org
> ,* Database
> ,
> ,** Back up the database
> ,
> ,Create a backup file of the existing database:
> ,
> ,#+srcname: backup-db(dbName, dbBackupFile)
> ,#+begin_src sql
> ,BACKUP DATABASE dbName TO DISK = 'dbBackupFile'
> ,go
> ,#+end_src
> ,
> ,** Back up the database
> ,
> ,Create a backup file of the existing database:
> ,
> ,#+srcname: backup-db :var dbName :var dbBackupFile
> ,#+begin_src sql
> ,BACKUP DATABASE dbName TO DISK = 'dbBackupFile'
> ,go
> ,#+end_src
> #+end_src
>
> 1. I read on http://orgmode.org/manual/var.html that the second way to pass
>    arguments is "more natural". Though, "nobody" "never" uses it in all the
>    examples published on this ML. Why? Are there still subtle differences, or
>    could such come in the future that would make one choose one over the
>    other?

I think we are committed to maintaining both ways of defining variables
for code blocks for the foreseeable future.

> 2. In both cases, the variables are not exported to HTML (and LaTeX?), making
>    the readability of such a documented code a bit difficult. Feature or bug?

The variable names should be exported to both HTML and LaTeX (when
org-export-latex-listings is set to true) when the following declaration
schema is used (at least they are for me).

#+source: something(x=9)
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
#+end_src

Best -- Eric