[Orgmode] Re: How do I convert org to OpenOffice?

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: How do I convert org to OpenOffice?
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 10:28:27 +0530

Hello Lennart

I uploaded a snapshot of org-7.3 and committed my workarea files to
repo.or.cz. For now, rely on the commits and the logs to get started
with what I have done till now.

Web Interface:
- http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode/oo.git/

Push URL:
- ssh://repo.or.cz/srv/git/org-mode/oo.git

Read-only URL:
- git://repo.or.cz/org-mode/oo.git
- http://repo.or.cz/r/org-mode/oo.git

Admin URL:
- http://repo.or.cz/editproj.cgi?name=org-mode/oo

I will send the admin password separately to you (Lennart) and Matt
separately so that you can add yourself to committers.

>>> Interesting that two people are working on org->OpenOffice exporter. The
>>> other person is me.
>>>
>>> I made this announcement roughly one week in to the project.
>>> - http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-10/msg00372.html
>>
>> Ah, very good. I missed that one. I started this thread a month ago
>> and hoped there where more people interested.
>

> Hi again Jambunathan,
>

> I just tried to test what you have written. Then I noticed that you
> have a separate file styles.xml.

> You have to place the styles somewhere, but I wonder if I do not like
> the idea used in muse-odt.el by Paul Rivier better. He instead uses a
> default.odt file from which he grabs the styles.xml.

> If you do it Paul's way the user can easily edit the styles from
> within LibreOffice (or OpenOffice.org if someone still wants to use
> that - when LibreOffice is released).

> I rewrote the zipping together from Paul's file in a way that should
> be easy to use with your solution otherwise.

I agree that working with a template file is more user-friendly than
working with an xml file.

Which codebase should we start from?

I started with org-html.el because it assured me a stable and
feature-rich base that is also XMLish.

One of the problems that I see with org-html.el route is that it is a
bit monolithic - there is a one big blob that does everything. The
side-effect of this is that our merges are most likely to conflict (even
if we work on two independent functional pieces)

If you look at org-odt.el, you will see that I have siphoned off the
Table Of Contents in to smaller routines, partly for my own
understanding and mostly because I wanted to break up the monolithic
structure of org-export-as-odt.

I also have a feeling that (my) org-odt.el has started becoming a beast
of it's own resembling less and less like org-html.el that it started
with.

Jambunathan K.