Re: [Orgmode] Problem with links to Wanderlust messages

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Problem with links to Wanderlust messages
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 22:31:25 +0000

Ronan BARZIC <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've difficulties to understand how to make links to WL messages from an Org
> file. According to the documentation, the syntax should be :
>
> [[wl:folder#id][Description]]
>
> - It is not clear for me if "id" is the number in front of the message in the
> "WL "Summary" view ? Can someone confirm that ? (I have also a field
> "Message-ID" in each message header)

The easiest way to find out what should be there is to:

1. go to the WL message, in the Summary window say.
2. type C-cl (org-store-link)
3. go to your org document where you want to link from
4. type C-cC-l (org-insert-link) and hit RET to accept the default which
   should be the link you /stored/ above.

>  I have the feeling that the dot at the beginning of the folder name
> confuses the org-mode when I try to follow the link. For example,
> following the link  [[wl:.INBOX#29333][TEST]]

I didn't find that the . caused any problems (the majority of my
mailboxes are in maildir format).  However, I must say that following
links to WL messages is not the most robust system.  The problems are
not in org but in WL, as far as I can tell.

A couple of suggestions: make sure you have started WL *before*
attempting to follow a link from org in any case and make sure you don't
store a link from WL from within a filtered view.

Due to the problems with linking to WL message, and a few other issues,
I have recently moved back to GNUS which is basically more robust in all
ways (although has a much steeper learning curve... but that's a story
for another mailing list ;-).

> Maybe I've misunderstood the documentation and I search the web without
> success. I will really appreciate if someone could give me a example of a
> working link using WL in a Maildir configuration

One example I have looks like this =wl:address@hidden

(with some bits replaced by XXX to protect the innocent)

--
Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 8F5C 279D 3907 E14A 5C29  570D C891 93D8 FFFC F67D
using Org-mode version 7.02trans (release_7.3.6.gf0d2)