Re: [Orgmode] Re: mobileorg app can't sync

From: Erik Iverson
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: mobileorg app can't sync
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 14:02:06 -0500

Luke Crook wrote:

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Erik Iverson <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

        I have same same error. The steps I took are as follows;

        - Downloaded MobilOrg app for iPhone.
        - Created an account on Dropbox.
        - Linked Mobilorg to Dropbox account.
        - Created test entry in Mobilorg.
        - Attempted to sync.

        Error returned "Error syncing changes. An error was encountered
        while attempting to fetch mobileorg.org <http://mobileorg.org>
        from the server. The error was: Unexpected error"

        On my Dropbox account, I see:

        MobileOrg\.dropbox

    But you need to run org-mobile-push from Emacs, and set any
    variables it relies on.  I forget which, but they are in the
    manual.

Ah, so I have to have an existing org-mobile-push'ified ".org" file in Dropbox prior to syncing? I don't think this is really made clear in the instructions. I didn't know that there was an org-mobile-push dependency between Emacs and Mobileorg. I had the impression that Mobilorg could be used stand-alone.

No, I don't think so.  That's why the instructions talk about the
'staging area'.

So my system is: I have my 'real' orgmode files in Dropbox, but
not in my MobileOrg directory.  I then have a command in Emacs
that when I press C-c g, my .org files are committed to git, and
org-mobile-push is called to copy them to the dropbox/MobileOrg
directory.  I then can sync from the ipod and have them there.

I can make changes on the device, marking items as done and taking
notes.

When I come back to my desk, I use a command bound to C-c p to
call org-mobile-pull.  I also have auto-revert-mode enabled for
org files, so all changes simply appear on screen in my org
files.

I'll try this and report back.

-Luke