Re: [Orgmode] org-export-latex-classes issue

From: Chris Malone
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-export-latex-classes issue
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 15:54:40 -0400

Hi Tom,

That fixed it - I figured it was something simple.  Thanks!

Chris

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 3:49 PM, Thomas S. Dye <address@hidden> wrote:
On Oct 20, 2010, at 9:11 AM, address@hidden wrote:

Hi,

I'm a n00b to Lisp and org-mode so please forgive me if the answer is obvious. I'm using version 7.01h of org-mode.

I'm trying to set up a custom Latex class to use for preparing a document. Some Google searching showed that I need to add this class to the org-export-latex-classes symbol. I tried to do this in my .emacs file, for example following what is listed at http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-latex-export.php by adding the following to my .emacs file:

(add-to-list 'org-export-latex-classes
'("article"
"\\documentclass{article}"
("\\section{%s}" . "\\section*{%s}")))

I know that org-export-latex-default-class is already set to "article" but this example already shows that something is wrong. When I load emacs the debugger complains that org-export-latex-classes is an empty list:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable org-export-latex-classes)
add-to-list(org-export-latex-classes ("article" "\\documentclass{article}" ("$
eval-buffer(#<buffer *load*> nil "/home/cmalone/.emacs" nil t) ; Reading at$
load-with-code-conversion("/home/cmalone/.emacs" "/home/cmalone/.emacs" t t)
load("~/.emacs" t t)
#[nil "^H\205\276^@ address@hidden@ address@hidden
command-line()
normal-top-level()

As far as I can tell, org-export-latex-classes is set to nil in org-latex.el, but this isn't loaded until the export dispatcher calls org-export-as-latex. Is this correct? Coincidentally, if I export to latex, the appropriate .tex file is created without issue.

My original goal was to setup a custom Latex class - I have tried in the same manner as that used above for the "article" class and the debugger produces the same result. However, when I attempt to export to latex I get the error that my custom class isn't in the org-export-latex-classes list, presumably because of the failure in loading the .emacs file.

Any advice?

Hi Chris,

My tutorial might have been over-optimistic about the ease of configuration.  Perhaps you also need this in your .emacs before you add-to-list:

 (require 'org-latex)

All the best,
Tom