[Orgmode] VISIBILITY property and C-u C-u <TAB>

From: Gez
Subject: [Orgmode] VISIBILITY property and C-u C-u <TAB>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 16:41:50 +0100

I've just discovered the VISIBILITY property, although I had some trouble working out how to apply it .I discovered C-u C-u TAB from reading http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/6623. C-u C-u TAB is documented in the reference card but not in the manual or on worg as far as I can see - Shouldn't it be added? Also shouldn't VISIBILITY be listed with the other "special properties" in the manual etc?

I'm using it to mark sub-projects (level 2,3 etc) with :VISIBILITY: folded (or :VISIBILITY: content when they also contain a sub-sub-project). When sub-projects are folded into their projects (level 1) I miss out on an overview of all projects. Using C-u C-u TAB I can see all non-level-1 headlines that I've marked because they are parents of tasks, and then I can visit them locally with TAB. It's very useful in conjunction with the counter cookie, and in column view.

I have a query about the C-u C-u TAB command. When I've just edited or used S-TAB (no matter which part of the global cycle it's on) C-u C-u TAB works as I would expect. But if I've just used TAB, C-u C-u TAB cycles hrough -> CONTENTS -> SHOW ALL etc, even while the mini buffer displays "startup visibility plus VISIBILITY properties" at each stage of the cycle. C-u C-u TAB also cycles when it's repeated. I find it hard to keep track of whether it will cycle or not while I'm using it to view areas of the outline, so in effect, the only way I feel sure I can quickly return to my desired startup visibility is with S-TAB C-u C-u TAB, which is a lot of keystrokes! So my questions are - is this expected behaviour? Can it be changed?

Gez
Windows XP, GNU Emacs 23.2.1, Org-mode version 7.01trans