Re: [Orgmode] Header levels and section numbering > 3, in LaTeX export

From: Indraneel Majumdar
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Header levels and section numbering > 3, in LaTeX export
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 15:54:42 +0530

I couldn't get easylist to understand the
\star symbol that orgmode uses. Do you know how to do that?
No.  You might have seen the footnote in the easylist documentation
(on p. 2) which says:

"You might not be happy with the symbols and maybe you'd like to use
another one, or simply have your favorite symbol
as default to avoid remembering such a cumbersome name as 'pilcrow'.
Here's a simple hack that does the job: select the
entire code of the package, and replace all occurrences of Ÿ (<<-- the
pilcrow) with your symbol. Make sure you won't use it in the list for
other purposes, though."

I've not tried this, however.  It would be nice if there were a dead
easy way to get easylist and org-mode to work well together, since the
two are very natural partners.  Let me know if you can make this work.

I couldn't get either \star nor \ast to work so I'm just using \sharp now, and am simply replacing # (at beginning of the line) with a hook. I'm not sure which is the best hook to use though. I don't want to alter my orgmode buffer and also want the hook to run on orgmode syntax. So far, I've failed at this.
org-export-first-hook runs in my orgmode buffer and alters the contents.
org-export-latex-after-blockquotes-hook runs after latex export has already happened (ie \section etc have already been converted) Maybe there's a hook in the middle somewhere, but I couldn't find any documentation on it.
And also to skip
the first 3 stars in a level4 heading (if I want to retain latex's default
top 3 levels)?
I've never actually gone all the way to making a document
easy-to-publish with Easylist.  I've just manually converted
org-mode's stars to a character Easylist can understand, then manually
wrapped the whole thing in a LaTeX preamble.  The ideal would be to
automate the process, perhaps by using org-babel and putting your
easylist sections in special code blocks. But I've not taken the time
to figure all that out.
I do not even know what babel is, although I've heard it in a ton of different contexts. Considering what the word "babel" means, I'm not even sure if that is strange or not!
Failing that, I bet you could do a halfway hack with minimal amount of
manual work.  For example (if I understand you correctly), you could
make an org document like this:

* Regular org heading
** Subheading
** Here's a third-level heading
STARTLIST
**** My first thesis, which is longer and wordier than it probably should be.
***** Of course it's nothing compared to the length of its supporting arguments
*****  Both of them
**** Here is my second thesis, as convincing as the first
ENDLIST

Org-mode will let you do all of that, just fine.  Then either
manually, or with a temporary latex export hook, do something like
this:

replace STARTLIST with \begin{easylist} and ENDLIST with \end{easylist}
replace '**** ' with '&  ' and '***** ' with'&&  ' and ****** ' with'&&&  ',
etc.

If you do it in an export hook, I think you'd want to do it in one
that runs before everything else.  That way org-mode will leave
everthing in your easylist environment alone.  What that will do to
quotation marks and /emphasis/ I don't know.

This is exactly what I want to do, but which export hook to use? Something that will not modify my original buffer and also understand regexp that I can base on what was originally in my buffer. So instead of searching for \paragraph, I can search for "**** ", but I want to keep "**** " in my original org buffer.

Indraneel
This should leave you with an easylist which starts at level '1', in a
document which uses org's header levels 1-3 in the normal latex way.
Is that what you want?

Make sure in the preamble, you have \usepackage[ampersand]{easylist}

Let me know if you need help figuring any of this out in detail.
That's just a rough sketch.

Cheers,

Scot