[Orgmode] org-mode breaks buffer indexing in sclang-mode

From: James Harkins
Subject: [Orgmode] org-mode breaks buffer indexing in sclang-mode
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 20:33:08 +0800

As I said before, I'm really enjoying org-mode. I love that I can keep all my semester's teaching data in one text file and zoom in right to where I want quickly. But, today I found a not-good interaction between it and the main programming mode that I use in Emacs (sclang-mode, an interactive front end for the supercollider* audio programming language).

Supercollider keeps objects internally for code documents. These are connected to Emacs buffers. The sclang-mode lisp code assigns an integer index to buffers that supercollider is supposed to know about, and passes those indices into the sc interpreter. When I run sclang-mode on its own, this is all totally stable. It's also stable if I have an org-mode buffer open and I'm editing only.

As soon as org-mode opens a calendar buffer, the sclang interpreter no longer knows about its Document buffers -- i.e., when in a buffer that's been loaded from disk, the sc code "Document.current.path" should return the full path to the file, but after opening the calendar, Document.current returns 'nil' and .path fails with an error. This could happen if Emacs tells sclang that the buffer closed (but the buffer is still open).

This is consistent behavior that I can reproduce on-demand, both in Aquamacs 1.9 (OSX) and Emacs 23 on Ubuntu. Opening an agenda view does not trigger the problem. It seems to be just the calendar.

Why would opening a calendar buffer to choose a date mess around with other modes' buffers?

Not a major, major problem for me but it seems something fishy is going on and I thought I would report it.

James

* http://supercollider.sourceforge.net

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world