Re: [Orgmode] [babel] Error with source block and variable on export - b

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [babel] Error with source block and variable on export - bug?
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 16:48:36 +0200

On 03/09/10 16:32, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> On 03/09/10 15:40, Eric Schulte wrote:
>> Hi Rainer,
>
>> As part of the export process Org-mode copies the contents of the
>> Org-mode file to a temporary buffer in which the business of exportation
>> is performed.  This temporary buffer is not associated with any file so
>> (buffer-file-name) returns nil, which is causing the problem you are
>> experiencing.  I think the best solution would be to replace the call to
>> (buffer-file-name) with the actual name of the file, e.g.
>
>> #+begin_src sh :var file=(vc-working-revision "~/src/babel-dev/scraps.org")
>> :exports results
>>   echo $file Revision
>> #+end_src
>
> Hi Eric
>
> thanks a lot for the clarification - that makes perfect sense. I will do
> as suggested.

Thanks - it is working now.
But it is a little bit awkward to have the file name (incl. path)
somewhere in the document - can create some problems when renaming the
file or saving it somewhere else).
Is it possible to define it as a kind of variable (property?) in the
headers of the file and reference it in the org file later?

Rainer

> Cheers,
>
> Rainer
>

>> Cheers -- Eric
>
>> Rainer M Krug <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> when I insert the following source block
>>>
>>> #+begin_src sh :exports results :var
>>> ver=(vc-working-revision(buffer-file-name))
>>>   echo Revision $ver
>>> #+end_src
>>>
>>> into a svn (probably other VCs as well) registered file and execute it
>>> via C-c C-c, it gives me the revision:
>>>
>>> #+begin_src sh :exports results :var
>>> ver=(vc-working-revision(buffer-file-name))
>>>   echo Revision $ver
>>> #+end_src
>>>
>>> #+results:
>>> : Revision 191
>>>
>>> So when exporting, I would expect that it also prints "Revision 191",
>>> but I get an error:
>>>
>>> vc-file-getprop: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
>>>
>>> Tangling the file with :var ver=(vc-working-revision(buffer-file-name))
>>> as a header argument also works fine.
>>>
>>> As the evaluation works, I assume that is a bug somewhere?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Rainer

- --
Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)