Re: [Orgmode] Gnuplot best practice?

From: suvayu ali
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Gnuplot best practice?
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 17:53:32 -0700

Hello,

On 6 August 2010 16:11, John Hendy <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been hunting for some info on gnuplot and wondered if there is a
> suggested "best practice" for using it and org...
> I've just used what worg has (#+PLOT: ...)
>http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-plot.php
>
> But several discussions seem to show a lot of people using embedded source
> instead (#+begin_src gnuplot...)?
>http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg26014.html
>http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg27861.html
>http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg28119.html
> Is it better to choose one over the other? I'm guessing it's easier to find
> help with the babel method since the lingo is the same vs. needing to know
> the discrepancies used by org-plot to translate into gnuplot?

I have been using both org-plot/gnuplot and ob-gnuplot lately. I found
#+PLOT directives very useful to get a few quick interactive plots
while I am playing with things. But for publication quality plots I
find org-babel much more flexible and capable. Also org-plot has
certain limitations, e.g. it can't make plots with error bars.

> Thanks for suggestions,
> John

GL

--