[Orgmode] Re: Email from org?

From: Ethan Ligon
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Email from org?
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 01:25:59 +0000 (UTC)

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric <at> gmail.com> writes:
> The following function might get part way towards what you describe.

> (defun org-send-email-of-headline ()
>   (interactive)
>   (let ((subject (org-get-heading t))
>         (to (org-entry-get (point) "mailto")))
>     (outline-mark-subtree)
>     (org-mime-org-buffer-htmlize)
>     (save-excursion
>       (message-goto-to) (insert to)
>       (message-goto-subject) (insert subject))))

Indeed!  This gets me very close to what I had in mind.  Aside from
saying thanks, I have two related things to say:

1) The code snippet above (really org-mime-org-buffer-htmlize)
produces output which is either designed to be further processed by
the mml library (mml-generate-mime) for gnus users or by the semi
library for wanderlust users.  Thus, the buffer resulting from the
above code-snippet is still one step away from being something one
could feed to smtpmail, and makes the output one needs to get from
org-mime dependent on an MUA (gnus or wanderlust).

2) I don't see the reason for this dependence.  Forget what mail
client the user prefers, whether gnus or wanderlust or something else.
Why not just feed the output of org-mime to a scratch buffer, run
(mml-generate-mime) on that, stick the output in a message buffer,
build a header, and then run smtpmail-send-it?

3) Okay, I see one reason for the dependence: I guess that mml isn't
part of the base emacs distribution.

4) And I see another reason: if one wanted to edit the htmlized buffer
it might be a little more convenient to work with the semi or mml
representations instead of the mime.

But (3) and (4) seem weak to me.  What am I missing?

-Ethan