Re: [Orgmode] Placement=[H] not exporting to LaTeX anymore?

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Placement=[H] not exporting to LaTeX anymore?
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 12:48:10 -0500

Thanks Nick.

- Whoops on forgetting the = in my first example!
- Is this hard to integrate? Is it possible to pass this option to LaTeX just as with figures? It only involves overriding [htb] with [H]...

John

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:
John Hendy <address@hidden> wrote:

> I had a problem with floating tables/figures a ways back, found here: http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg25566.html
>
> The solution, which was simply inserting #+ATTR_LATEX: placement=[H], worked perfectly.
>
> I just ran into it again, however. my org file has the following order in a section:
>
> * section
> text before table 1
> table 1 (featuring both #+CAPTION and #+ATTR_LATEX: placement [H])
> text before table 2
> table 2 (featuring both #+CAPTION and #+ATTR_LATEX: placement [H])

[Just a note for the unwary: the syntax above is not quite correct -
John gives the correct syntax below in his example.]

> But it's being exported to pdf like so:
>
> text before table 1
> text before table 2
> table 1
> table 2
>
> The exported .tex has this for table 1:
> \begin{table}[htb]
> \caption{table 1 caption}
> \begin{center}
>
> If I manually change the \begin{table}[htb] line to \begin{table}[H], things work exactly as I want. Somehow the [H] option just isn't making it
> through...
>
> Just to be sure I created an blank org file with only this:
>
> * test
>
> #+CAPTION: test table
> #+ATTR_LaTeX: placement=[H]
> | 1    | 2    | 3    | 4    |
> |------+------+------+------|
> | test | test | test | test |
> | test | test | test | test |
>
> It gets exported to this:
>
> \begin{table}[htb]
> \caption{test table}
> \begin{center}
> \begin{tabular}{llll}
>
> Did something change between 6.35 and 7.01 or in the LaTeX table options?

I think that placement works fine for figures, but not for tables. In
fact, I cannot find the code that's supposed to do this for tables: I
suspect that it never existed. So unless I'm mistaken, it seems that
tables never got the placement treatment that figures did.

Nick