Re: [Orgmode] Re: New to org-capture (and org-remember)

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: New to org-capture (and org-remember)
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 10:57:13 +0200

Hi Stephen,

On Jul 2, 2010, at 10:43 AM, Stephen Eglen wrote:

Memnon Anon <address@hidden> wrote:

Stephen Eglen <address@hidden> writes:

I'd like to try out org-capture.

I've never used org-remember before so I have no templates to convert.
Do I make the new ones in pretty much the same way as the manual
describes for org-remember?

Or should I be patient, and wait for org-capture to stabilise?

Hi,

to quote the fine manual:

,----[ (info "(org)Capture templates") ]
| You can use templates to arrange for different types of capture items,
| and for different target locations.  The easiest way to set up such
| templates is through the customize interface.
|
| `C-c c C'
|      Customize the variable `org-capture-templates'.
`----

Is your documentation uptodate?

You should find all the information in "9.1 Capture" and its
subnodes to get you started.

Argh, org-capture.el is not part of the current stable release.
So, if you want to try, you need the development version, either
with git or download org-latest (link is on orgmode.org).

If you still encounter any problems, please describe them so the
documentation can be improved :).

Thanks for this. I have read the nice docs (and found some small typos
- will send a patch).

Proofreading that section carefully would be much appreciated.
Also better wording etc.  I am known as the worst typist in the world,
and I know that my English is reasonably good but not nearly perfect.

One thing immediately struck me: sec 9.1.1. mentions setting:
org-default-notes-file
but I couldn't see that mentioned in the rest of the chapter.  Its
docstring would indicate its needed by remember.el, so perhaps there is
no need any more to set org-default-notes-file?

I have just updated this docstring, thanks for noticing this.

This variable is not necessary, but it is used if you are too
lazy to give a target file in the template definition.

- Carsten