Re: [Orgmode] [ANN] Org-babel integrated into Org-mode

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [ANN] Org-babel integrated into Org-mode
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 09:59:17 -0700

Hi Christopher,

Christopher Witte <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm having trouble getting the new version of babel to work with
> haskell and R under Ubuntu 10.04 using emacs-snapshot.  It works fine
> for emacs-lisp.  I had to change the variable LISPF in the Makefile
> to:
>
> LISPF      =  org.el                          \
>               babel/ob.el                     \
>               babel/ob-table.el               \
>               babel/ob-lob.el                 \
>               babel/ob-ref.el                 \
>               babel/ob-exp.el                 \
>               babel/ob-tangle.el              \
>               babel/ob-comint.el              \
>               babel/ob-keys.el                \
>               babel/langs/ob-emacs-lisp.el    \
>               babel/langs/ob-haskell.el       \
>               babel/langs/ob-latex.el \
>               babel/langs/ob-sh.el    \
>               babel/langs/ob-asymptote.el     \
>               babel/langs/ob-R.el     \
>               babel/langs/ob-gnuplot.el
>
> otherwise I couldn't compile my .emacs file, which contains the following:

Hmm, I would think it would be possible to require files which are not
byte-compiled.  The reason that the language files (aside from
emacs-lisp) are not compiled by default is that they often have exotic
requirements which will not be present on most users systems.

> (require 'org-install)
>
> ;;(require 'org)
> ;;(require 'ob)
> ;;(require 'ob-tangle)
> ;; org-babel set up
> (require 'ob-haskell)
> (require 'ob-latex)
> (require 'ob-sh)
> (require 'ob-asymptote)
> (require 'ob-R)
> (require 'ob-gnuplot)
>
> The following works fine:
>           #+tblname: example-table
>           | 1 |
>           | 2 |
>           | 3 |
>           | 4 |
>
>           #+source: table-length
>           #+begin_src emacs-lisp  :var table=example-table
>           (length table)
>           #+end_src
>
>           #+results: table-length
>         : 4
>
> But when I try the haskell equivalent:
>           #+source: table-length
>           #+begin_src haskell  :var table=example-table
>           length table
>           #+end_src
>

> I get:
> executing haskell source code block
> reference 'example-table' not found in this buffer
> org-babel-ref-resolve-reference: reference 'example-table' not found
> in this buffer
>
> If I try:
>           #+source: table-length
>           #+begin_src haskell
>           length [1,2,3]
>           #+end_src
>

> I get:
> executing haskell source code block
> org-babel-execute:haskell: Symbol's function definition is void: session

Thanks for bringing this up, it looks like ob-haskell has fallen victim
to bit-rot.  I've done a fairly thorough cleanup of the file (just
pushed up the commit).  Please give it a test run and let me know
if/where I missed issues.

> I also get a lot of warnings when I compile org-mode, see the attached
> buiild log.

Yes, the language-specific files have not been manicured for clean
byte-compilation.  This is certainly something that should happen, but
probably not in the near term.

Thanks -- Eric