[Orgmode] Re: how to customize (inactive) timestamp textual format

From: Richard Riley
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: how to customize (inactive) timestamp textual format
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 15:49:26 +0200

Giovanni Ridolfi <address@hidden> writes:

> Richard Riley <address@hidden> writes:
>> Giovanni Ridolfi <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> The suggestion for the user to clone the worg git is probably the best
> I agree: the people who want to have worg will clone it, other (me ;)
> are free not to download it.
>
>> but I see no reason, if its not silly amount of work
>                        ^^^       ^^^^^^^
>>, to include worg
>> with a org git distribution as a subdir in the same repo.
>
> As I fear that it might *not* be 'silly', I suggested not to include
> worg.

You fear? Or you know ? ;)

Git clone is pretty straightforward.

I'm not particularly biased either way but just to play devil's advocate

> Will you include worg as it is?

Well, yes.

> However some sections of worg come to my mind...will we keep them?

Worg is worg. All of them. All that is in git.

> the hack section,       the "people pages",
> the issue tracker,       the quotes
> the web resources (net connection needed):
>       blog posts, wikis , web pages made with worg

You can look at a local copy while online and browse remote links
you know. Clearly no one is saying it should package all the remote
link destinations too ....

> pages about worg? how to ude git??!!
>                   how to create your SSH key ?!!

Hmmm. I'm not sure I follow you. Its in git. Just ship the lot as a sub
component. Or possibly as a make target. e.g "make worg" pulls it
in. These references to non org resources are a little
unnecessary. Worg. No more no less.

>> Benefits would be that Worg could be stamped with same release
>> markers/tags too and the "local Worg" would be synced with that
>> release.
>
> The cons will be:
> (0. Maintainers stripping worg off, when merging org-mode to (x)Emacs)
> If worg is in org-mode package:
> 1. Every Emacs user in the world
>    plus every distribution (and their mirrors) will have such
>    documentation in their info-directory.

I'm not sure I follow your thinking. That is already true of all SW you
install. As is the argument "you can see it online". That is also true
of the org manuals. remember the OPs main request was to facilitate
offline access. And many of us work offline a lot. I do on my laptop. I
can understand his initial request.

>    Then in, e.g., Debian you will have it both in the org-mode package AND
>    in the Emacs-documentation-non-free package!
>
>    I think that it is really too much, and also not environmental friendly.
>    (bandwidth, disk space...)

Would you like to censor the contrib sub dir ;) Not all of that is used
by all people too. Disk space argument is a little flimsy to be honest.

>    let's ask:
>    Who will benefit from this choice?  400 people using Org-Mode?
>    does the squeeze worth the juice for 400 people?

Worg is a valuable help resource. Its not that huge in comparison to
other things.

> 2. the org-mode.zip/tgz file will become bigger
>    (bandwidth (who's paying for it?) for downloads from orgmode.org)

I dont think bandwidth is really that much of an issue in an incremental
git pull. We stopped thinking about people on 100 baud lines a while
back ;) Well, I did ... ;)

Cheers,

r.