[Orgmode] Re: any idea how to convert org file to MS WORD an retain text

From: Rainer Stengele
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: any idea how to convert org file to MS WORD an retain text structure?
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 15:32:05 +0200

Am 15.06.2010 17:16, schrieb Russell Adams:
> I routinely have to do this. My steps are:
>
>  - Export org to html
>  - Switch to the html export buffer (filename.html)
>  - Delete the xml lines at the top until the first line is the <html> tag
>  - Save the html
>  - Open the html in Word
>
> It opens fine, and preserves image links, tables, formats, etc. This
> saves time. I know there was a recent ML post I made on the same
> topic, and there was a reply on automation which I haven't tried yet.
>
> Typically what's happening for me is I write a technical document in
> Org, and I give it to a tech writer who uses Word to apply company
> templates. They have less work to do because the Org formatting is
> preserved.
>
> Babel and image links are a boon here!
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 06:31:02PM +0530, Puneeth Chaganti wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 5:57 PM, Rainer Stengele
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I love to edit documents in Org.
>>> Unfortunately I have to finally deliver text in MS Word.
>>>
>>> Any idea how to best export/convert my org file to Word?
>>>
>>> I tried HTML export and then imported the html in Word but
>>> I end up in an unusable xml style document which word wants an stylesheet
>>> for which I do not have.
>>
>> I don't have MS Word around, so I can't be sure. But, stripping off
>> the the xml header [ <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?> ] and
>> then opening it in OpenOffice works fine for me. I tested with a
>> simple document, with a couple of sections and sub-sections and some
>> unnumbered lists.
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Puneeth

Hi,

Russel thank you, that is quite perfect!
As you said, Word preserves most of the formatting and pictures etc.
Looks good!

I'll stick with that, setting org-export-html-xml-declaration to

 ("was-html" . "<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"%s\"?>")
 ("php" . "<?php echo \"<?xml version=\\\"1.0\\\" encoding=\\\"%s\\\" ?>\";
?>"))

which saves me the stripping off the xml header before importing to Word!

Excellent! This will help me a lot to produce documents (meeting protocols)
fast and easy, sharing the result through MS Word.

Thanks everybody for considering!

Rainer