[Orgmode] Re: hyperlink to IMAP email

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: hyperlink to IMAP email
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 18:22:43 +0100

Arne Freyberger wrote:

> I would like to link to email messages that are held in IMAP folders either
> locally or on the server.   I've tried vm but realized that I would have to
> set
> up a copy of my IMAP folder structure into the vm folder world in order for
> that
> to work.

You are right.  There wouldn't be much point in using a separate mail client
just for Org.  It would be best to stick to whichever mail client you normally
use.

The current org-vm.el interface, apparently written by Carsten Dominik, only
works for local folders in VM.  (I don't blame him.  This was probably written
in 2004, when IMAP wasn't used that much by VM users.)  I have now added
changes to extend it to POP and IMAP folders.  They will be part of the next
release of VM (v 8.1.1, due to be released pretty soon).  Or, you can get it
from Launchpad (bzr get lp:vm/8.1.x).

The IMAP folder names will be in the standard VM format:

  imap:HOST:PORT:MAILBOX:AUTH:USER:PASSWORD

If people would prefer shorter folder names, I could do some more work on it.
But, it probably doesn't matter.  The hyperlinks are rarely seen anyway.

Cheers,
Uday Reddy
(VM Development Team)