[Orgmode] Re: Make a time-stamp non-interactively

From: Zachary Young
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Make a time-stamp non-interactively
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 09:33:01 -0700

Hi Brent,

Thank you very much for pointing that function out. I am still learning how to use apropos and just found about `C-u apropos' which shows that function when `apropos' did not.

Anyway, much easier than my hack.

Thank you,
Zachary

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 7:26 PM, Bernt Hansen <address@hidden> wrote:
Zachary Young <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm still new to elisp, so forgive me if I am missing something obvious...
>
> I would like to make an orgmode active time-stamp from within a custom function I am writing. I have
> looked at `org-time-stamp' but do not see a way to call this in a *non-interactive* fashion from my
> code. Inside `org-time-stamp' I was looking for a "core time-stamp function" that the interactive
> functions would call... but could not make one out. Is there a function already defined that when
> called will make a time-stamp with default values?
>
> If not, can someone point out the lines of code inside `org-time-stamp' that I can duplicate in my
> own code?
>
> I would prefer not to have to make a macro.
>
> Thank you,
> Zachary

Hi Zachary,

You probably want something like org-insert-time-stamp.

I use this to insert inactive timestamps in buffers like this:

(defun bh/insert-inactive-timestamp ()
 (interactive)
 (org-insert-time-stamp nil t t nil nil nil))

If you change the third parameter from t to nil it gives you active
timestamps.

See the docstring for more details.

HTH,
Bernt