Re: [Orgmode] Plans for synching with Emacs dev sources?

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Plans for synching with Emacs dev sources?
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:23:08 -0600

> On Apr 14, 2010, at 12:37 AM, Eric Schulte wrote:
[...]
>> If this is the case, then should we start pushing new versions of
>> Org-mode to the Emacs development repository at every *Org-mode*
>> version
>> bumb, rather than at every Emacs version bump?
>

> In principle, this is the idea.  Before 6.33 I pretty much pushed
> every Org-mode release to Emacs.  At that point, Emacs went into
> feature freeze for another release (23.2, I believe), and therefore I
> had to stop updating.
>
> Now it is time to get back into this - but I have not done it due to
> time constraints.  It is not trival to push our changes to Emacs.
>
> - Emacs now uses bzr, which I am not familar with.  I have installed bzr
>   and pulled the Emacs trunk onto my machine - but I still need to test
>   if I can actually commit using that setup.
>   I wish Emacs had chosen git, because this is what I know reasonably
> well
>   now, and because git is, from what I can tell, better.

I think it's safe to say that git is better than bzr (significantly
faster and more mature).  From what I could glean panning through the
emacs-dev mailing archives, the *only* reason that Emacs now uses bzr
over git is because bzr is officially part of the GNU ecosystem.

> - There are a lot of issues that need to be taken care of.
>   1. The Emacs developers regularly make global changes o all code in
> Emacs,
>      to make use of new features or to implement new conventions.
>      I try to merge all these changes into my development version.
> Sometimes
>      this is not possible, because the changes the Emacs developers
> introduce
>      will not work for older versions of Emacs (like Emacs 21 or 22).
>      Example: interactive-p and called-interactively.

for what it's worth, I've been tracking the Emacs development version
(updating ~1/week) and I haven't noticed incompatibilities or problems.

>   2. Because I am not as good with version control as I would like to
> be handwork has to be done, and I have been burned in the past several
> times because my changes reverted some changes made inside Emacs.
> This is a psychological barrier for me to go ahead and make the next
> update.
>
> Nevertheless, I am planning to update Emacs again - but I am not sure
> exactly when I will find the time.

I think one approach may be to perform all of the merging against the
git mirror of the Emacs repo (git://repo.or.cz/emacs.git), and then
there should be an easy way to /git fast export/ /bzr fast import/ the
changes over from the git mirror to the bar repo.

> If there is a volunteer who is willing to take charge of the
> synchronization with Emacs, this would be absolutely great.  But it
> would have to be a dedicated and careful person, who is willing to
> patiently work through the issues.

I wish I could help, but I honestly don't have the time such a
commitment would require.

Best -- Eric