Re: [Orgmode] Orgmode and matlab again.

From: Dan Davison
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Orgmode and matlab again.
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 11:01:43 -0400

Piter_ <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all.
> Can some one point me out part of code from babel-org and python-babel
> which is responsible for opening python code in python mode and
> putting it back in orgmode.

Hi Piter,

It's actually org-mode that does that, not org-babel.

So to get org-mode to open a block of matlab code in matlab mode, you
shouldn't need to do anything, apart from download matlab-mode

http://sourceforge.net/projects/matlab-emacs/

and (require 'matlab). At this stage, C-c ' on a #+begin_src matlab
block should open it for you in matlab mode.

We can also easily get the *tangling* functionality of org-babel with

(org-babel-add-interpreter "matlab")
(add-to-list 'org-babel-tangle-langs '("matlab" "m"))

That means that you can extract matlab blocks to files of pure matlab
code using org-babel-tangle.

Similarly, octave-mode comes bundled with emacs so begin_src octave
blocks should open in octave-mode already, and you can get babel
tangling functionality with

(org-babel-add-interpreter "octave")
(add-to-list 'org-babel-tangle-langs '("octave" "m"))

However, you will not yet be able to execute any matlab/octave code
blocks. That requires someone to do a bit of work, but it looks to me
that it might be possible to get both octave and matlab evaluation
working, both as external processes and as sessions. See

http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Running-Octave-From-Within-Emacs.html#Running-Octave-From-Within-Emacs
http://sourceforge.net/projects/matlab-emacs/

Dan